"Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment, until it becomes a memory" - Dr. Suess
Friday, June 20, 2014
Tea Bag Rocket
What you need:
a tea bag (the large Luzianne tea bags worked better for us, we tried multiple)
scissors
a plate
a lighter
Remove the staple, string and paper from the tea bag with the scissors and dump out the tea into another container or the garbage (you will not need it).
Unfold the tea bag and open it up to form an empty cylinder that you can see all the way through.
Stand the tea bag cylinder up right on a non-flammable surface. I used a plate.
Light the "rocket" and watch your kid's faces.
**we did ours inside. We tried to do it outside, but the slightest breeze will knock it over. You need no breeze whatsoever. Don't worry, the rocket extinguishes itself in the air**
We learned how warm dense air rises above the cooler air and that's why the rocket floats up. There's a lot more information you can teach your kids about this experiment, but my boys were too darn excited to try it again and again. You can find out more about this experiment here.
I took a video of this, but unfortunately I can't find it! I will upload it once I do.
Enjoy,
Crystin
Labels:
activity,
boredom busters,
fun,
science,
summer,
tea bag rocket
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment