This activity I was really excited about. Once the boys realized there was water involved, they too were really excited. We started this activity by making "hypothesis" about what would sink or float. With each new item I introduced, I would ask them what they think is going to happen if we put it in the water. They guessed most of them, but some were really surprising. The tangerine floated and the raisins sank. Who knew.
We were all a little surprised that the tangerine floated and then the raisins sank to the bottom like rocks.
We talked about why the items floated and why some others sank to the bottom. We talked about "heavy" and "light". This was definitely worth the wet floor, clothes, hair, table....etc. Austin then wanted to have a lot more control and figure out which of his toys would sink and float. We filled up the sink on both sides and let the boys go collect things they thought would sink or float. They were pretty excited.... and then they just lost control and started getting into the water play.
One thing I have learned while trying to homeschool is that I need to let it go. {gah, I just hummed "let it go" in my head... stupid Frozen!} It's really hard for me, being a control freak, to just breathe and let it happen. I need to work on my tone, patience and understanding. whew.
Mommy's learning right along with these kiddos.
Enjoy!
Crystin






No comments:
Post a Comment