Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Sound it out activity

I am working on Phonics with Austin. He is having trouble sounding out the letters in words. Our lesson today was on Beginning Letters and Ending Letters. He finished his 4 pages and then I had a fun activity for him to put his learning to practice.
I have a bunch of foam letters from a few puzzles I got at the Dollar Store. The puzzle itself is not sturdy so I just re purposed the foam letters. We use them for painting and such.  I pulled out consonants and vowels and found things around the house that he could sound out. (hat, cat, pig)

I laid everything out and asked him to pick out what he wants to sound out first.
 The first few were a little tough. I made note of the ones he has real trouble with, but for the most part, he was pretty good at this activity. 
 I would say "what is beginning letter in {object}" and then I would say "what's the ending letter in {object}" and then at that point, I would say "what is the Vowel in {object}"  He surprised me on how excited he was about this activity and he really does know more letters than I thought.




This activity was definitely a success.

Enjoy.
Crystin

No comments:

Post a Comment