Tuesday, August 19, 2014

An incredibly slow moving morning....

....last week was...um... well it was hard.  My husband was out of town and I was trying to redo my entire lesson plan. (WHO DOES THAT??!) I was stressed out, at the end of my rope and in a constant tizz. It was not enjoyable at all.  I had been working nonstop on revamping my entire lesson plan (again, who does that??!) and I was just tired.

 By Friday, I just gave up and realized that I am not making myself or anyone else, for that matter, happy at all.  So I just said "you know what, today there is no school. We are just going to play all day" It was actually a struggle first thing... I enjoy being with my kids, but to get inside their heads and play imagination is quite hard for me. I am all about board games, reading books, playing well thought out games, but running around the house shooting guns and maiming imaginary droids is hard.   My husband is actually the "fun" parent in the house that gets down on the floor and wrestles around with them making them giggle and such... I do that occasionally, but  most of the time, with that sort of game, I am a spectator and protector when someone gets a boo boo or "DADDY'S COMING!! RUN AND HIDE!"

I woke up Friday morning determined that I wanted to have a FUN day and not worry about school. I was making my coffee when a tired little Lucas came down the stairs. I got hugs and kisses. I said "Goodness Lukie, you look TIRED. Want some coffee??!"  His little face lit up as I handed him a lidded coffee cup full of milk, about 3 tablespoons of coffee and a dash of Cinnamon Bun creamer.  Austin came down and Lucas ran to him and showed him his cup and said "I GOT COFFEE LIKE MOMMY!!"  So of course, I made some for Austin. We ended up in the bedroom, cuddled in my bed, drinking coffee and watching kids shows for about an hour.  This special kiddo coffee has actually became an everyday occurrence around here.  They get their coffee cups, sit at the table and we just talk for a little while. Good start!!!



We played "diggy bug" after breakfast.  This is my little game I play with them (instead of Kung Fu like daddy).  I pull them in close and say "I have something in my HAND! Wanna see? What could it be?" and then they get close and I open my hand and say "OH NO! IT'S A DIGGY BUG" and I tickle the crap out of them.

I decided early on that we were not going to do school Friday. I was just tired of doing school...period. I had been staring at lesson plans until late in the night for a week and I was done. Obviously, that didn't mean the learning didn't have to take place any that day! My boys love Minecraft. There are many days when Austin asks me to play Legos and we end of making a Minecraft village out of Legos.  We spent a majority of the morning pretend mining downstairs, finding resources and such... we then headed upstais because I got a fun idea to make a "village" from Duplo blocks.  I let the boys in on my idea and they were both on board.

I was in charge of farming. I drew sugar cane, wheat, pumpkins, a tree, apples and a lake.  When we needed to harvest the sugar cane, they picked up the green blocks, the wheat were the yellow, the pumpkins were the orange and so on...


In Minecraft, you collect water with buckets you make, so here's our bucket!

Here's our mine. Austin was in charge of mining. Everytime we needed stones or anything he would use his pick axe (a gold club) to mine for us and would put the resources in our "chest"

Here's our chest. We have sand, gold, obsidian, stone, grass (lol) and a sword Lucas made.


This is our crafting table Lucas made for us.  Lucas was in charge of cooking. He would take "wheat" and make bread...or he would take sugar cane blocks, put them together and then change them into white blocks for sugar. He would then take the sugar and orange blocks (pumpkin) to make pumpkin pie for us.

Her's our food chest. We have bread, sugar cane, pumpkin and wheat.

As usual, our cats Fat Face (or Dash) and Albie Girl (Albie) are always around us doing cute things for us to swoon over. Here are some cute shots of them...just because I think they are extra cute!

Fat Face rolling around... *swoon*

Sweet Albie Girl
Haha. One thing I am learning is that it's okay just to call a time out and enjoy yourself...and your kids.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment