Saturday, August 9, 2014

Learning about the 5 senses

We just finished our first week of homeschool. I am pleased to announce, we all still have pulses. Fancy that!

We delved right in to learning about our 5 senses.  This week, I did a lapbook. If you don't know what a lapbook is...google it. It's such a compact fun way of learning. With this lapbook, I actually put together the bare bones of it this summer. I wasn't sure how to actually do them nor did I know that normally, the kids are the ones that make them.  *noted*

Anyway.  I planned a bunch of fun activities to reinforce their senses...along with supplemental stuff like watching Kids Health videos and color sheets. 

Here's how our week went. (I actually forgot to take pictures of the Sense of Touch, it was our first day after all but the activity if self explanatory)

Sense of Hearing:

I got the idea for this hearing activity here.  I ended up using mini marshmallows, small legos, rice and popcorn kernels. I put them in each egg and the boys had to shake the eggs to figure out what was inside. Once they were sure of their guess they opened them up to see if they were right.

 







After the Hearing activity, this little Nugget and I used the popcorn kernels (and some from the pantry) to make some popcorn on the stove.

SUCH a fun activity! Listen to it POP POP POP!


SENSE OF SMELL

What better way to use your sense of smell than painting with Spices! Before the activity, we smelled each spice and picked out our favorite. Everyone hated the way paprika smelled and everyone but my oldest liked Cinnamon. I used cinnamon, paprika, ground cloves, ginger, a bay leaf and some whole cloves. We also used glue to glue them everything down. I just added the spices to an ice cube tray and mixed with some water.





 


((insert random pictures from the week below...heehee))
 

I made busy bags for Little One while Oldest one works on his spelling, grammar etc. This one he had to use his "big boy scissors" to cut out the shapes I drew.


Using the counting blocks to help him get through an addition maze.

Gluing those shapes down with too much glitter glue

Working on writing his name.... I found this idea on Pinterest.



SENSE OF TASTE: A TASTY EXPERIMENT
All you need for this experiment is salt, sugar, vinegar and lemon juice and some qtips for dipping and tasting.  Before we started this experiment we learned about the map of the tongue and where each item was going to taste the strongest. I dipped the qtip in each item and had the boys place it on their tongues where it was going to taste the "best" or worst in most cases.

Not keen on the salt

He didn't like the salt either

Putting the vinegar on the back of his tongue

HECK NO TO VINEGAR!

...and to lemon juice.
 
CUTE CUTE CUTE handwriting! 




***DRUM ROLL PLEASE!***

Here it is... in all it's glory! Our 5 senses lapbook!







Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment