Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Skip Counting by 2's!

Oh Skip Counting.... I use skip counting all the time in my day to day life. I always count by two's or  five's... but trying to teach it to Austin seemed like such a struggle.  We have gone over this lesson a few times and each time ended in him getting angry and just giving up. I kept trying to explain it, but it seemed impossible...until.... had a really great idea.  It's like a game for him.  I told him today we were doing skip counting by two's and he started getting angry and upset...

"Get up I said and let's play a game.  I want you to reach up high. When you reach up high say one really quiet then reach down low, clap and say really loud TWO!... then you reach up high and really quietly say three, reach down low, clap and say really loud FOUR!"

He thought it was great and Lucas even got into it.

After doing it about 4 or 5 times, he was counting by two's all by himself.
I then took him to the stairs and he skip counted all the way up and then down the stairs. He kept doing it over and over again.

The last couple of days, we have worked on our 100's chart and counting them by 2's. I gave him a bingo marker and asked him to count by two's. It has been a struggle!!  Today, he did it by counting to himself and then shouting 2, 4, 6!!  Here's our updated numbers chart with counting by 2's!!  Yeah for knowledge :)





So excited for him and when he learns something knew, it's such a great feeling for both of us!

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment