Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Living vs. Non Living activities

In our science lesson today, we talked about living vs non living.  It was a pretty straight forward lesson but I wanted to incorporate some activities and worksheets into it.

We started our lesson by reading straight from the text book. I asked the boys if they could name some living and non living things and we made a list on the white board.






We then watched a very short video from PBS Learning Media site which you can find here.  I just asked them what was living and non living when the pictures came up. I think you have to log in to view that video, but it's a free site and has some pretty cool things on. It may be worth getting a log in for it.

After the video, I brought out the glue and construction paper and they sorted little pictures into living and non living. To my surprise they LOVED this activity. They had so much fun pretending the "table" was living or what the "bed" would eat if it was living.  I got the activity in a free downloadable packet and we are planning to use more of the activities in the following weeks.  I got the packet here



Then we headed out front to look for living and non living things in our front yard.  I wrote down everything Austin found. (Lucas refused to put his shoes on, so he stayed on the porch).








Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment