Monday, August 25, 2014

Skeletal System (Human Body Project)

Bones! Bones! Bones!!  We are learning about our Skeletal System.  I for one have been eager to start this unit with the kiddos.  I got most of the ideas from this blog. I loved the simplicity of it and the fact that it was really hands on.

Today, I introduced the boys to their skeletons.  We started the day learning about what bones do in our bodies. They hold us up, they protect our organs etc.  The first bone we learned about was the Skull.  I asked the boys if they knew where their skulls were...they pointed...I asked them what a skull's purpose was. They were a little stumped. I told them that the skull protects our Brains!  Austin colored the Brain I had printed out and placed it on our Mr. Bonehead life sized skeleton. 

I did an activity with them to demonstrate how the skull protects the Brain. I brought out some eggs. The eggs represent our skulls (with brains inside). I told them that the skull is much harder than an egg shell.

I asked what would happen if our eggs fell from a very high place... They were pretty delighted because I think they realized what was going to happen next.
Our little eggs took a dove from a mountain onto the ground. Here's the video and their reaction. I told them the yolk represented our brains and showed them how the skull held everything inside. Without a skull, our brains would be everywhere.

Our next project was to talk about what would happen if we didn't have bones in our bodies.  I asked them to show me what it would look like if we didn't have bones in our arms, legs and so on. This got them up and moving.


We looked up x-rays of the human skeleton on google images. Make sure your safe search is on before you start....whew.
We cut up a bunch of straws and made a human skeleton complete with Skull, clavicle, arm bones, leg bones, ribs and pelvis.





After we explored all the bones for today, I asked Austin to label Mr. Bonehead.  I think he did a fantastic job or remembering all the bones!



Come back soon to see our projects and pictures in our own Human Body Project!

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment